New York-based, French furniture designer Antoine Schapira trained at the famous Ecole Boulle in Paris in the art of fine cabinetmaking called ébènisterie. He designs and hand crafts extraordinarily detailed and exquisitely finished contemporary wood furniture using highly skilled and imaginative applications of veneer, enamel, gilding and marquetry. Custom sizes and commissions accepted.
- Diploma (1980), Ecole Boulle, Paris, France (elite school for cabinetmakers).
- Studio furniture shop and gallery, 74 Boulevard Raspail, Paris. (A patnership with Antonin Rossillon.) Six years as a restorer of fine antiques in Paris. Three years as the head of production at Mobilier International, exclusive distributor and producer for the Herman Miller collection in France (including Eames Lounge 670 & 671). Five years with BAM France, creating and managing production of an American facility to produce cases for musical instruments in composite materials , foam injection and fabrics. Presently (and for the past four years), studio work in Union City, NJ - antique restoration and custom furniture design and fabrication.
- Major influences
- Jean-Francois Oeben German cabinetmaker working in Paris 18th century.
- Eugene Printz French cabinetmaker working in Paris early 20th century.
- The multitude of nameless artisans who are my ancestors, whose work is the core of the European tradition.